Frequently Asked Questions
Why is selecting the right contractor so important?
The right contractor can mean the diffrence between a 2 week project and 2 month project – we strive to be expeditious and methodical in our work and in the overall renovation process.
We hire and connect you with valuable sub-contractors you will want to call again.
Davis Carpentry strives for excellence across the board: quality work, workmanship, and materials mean long-term value for your money.
We value your patronage and strive every day to gain your trust and confidence. There are many inexperienced contractors, fly-by-nighters, “big box” store contractors, chain kitchen and bath suppliers, and now “Internet Advisors” promising to connect you with “qualified” pay-per-lead contractors, none of which guarantee who you will see on the job from one day to the next. We don’t operate that way – we never have, and we never will.
How does the process work?
1) Free initial consultation, this can take 1-2 hours
- In this time we take basic dimensions
- Discuss your wants/needs/concerns
- Answer your budget questions
2) Return visit where we will review:
- A detailed written estimate including all anticipated costs
- Rough floor plan sketch & design ideas
- Alternatives to fit your budget
3) Sign a design agreement
Cost is approximately 3% of proposed budget
- We will take detailed dimensions of your space
- Generate CAD drawings used for town permitting & approval
- Provide one alternate design and one set of revisions
- Provide 3D views of cabinetry (if applicable)
While plans are in process, we provide a list of our vetted suppliers who are all professionals in their respective fields and are there for you to make your shopping a pleasant experience. We will provide them measured drawings so they can anticipate your needs.
4) Prepare a detailed Contract including:
- Measured drawings approved by the homeowner
- Fully amended and detailed list of all vendor selections, start and completion dates & payment schedules
Will there be extras? (full disclosure)
The safe answer is usually. While we strive to incorporate every included item, there may be hidden costs we don’t anticipate.
During demolition we may uncover an underlying deficiency that requires repair, such as:
- Wood rot (moisture/insect)
- Previous renovation with poor workmanship
- Compromised structural deficiency
- Electrical and/or plumbing work performed by an unlicensed handyman or homeowner
As required by law, once we uncover non-compliant work, it must be addressed.
Sometimes homeowners make additions and or alterations to the scope of work, deciding to change or add on items “while we’re at it,” but there are no hidden fees. If there is additional work, we generate a written change order describing the modifications and cost difference, and only move ahead once we receive your authorization.
How long does the bathroom process take?
No two projects are the same. With that being said, an average full gut (down to the studs) bathroom renovation takes 2-3 weeks from start to completion (dependant on selections and the complexity and location of bathroom.)
- We start by covering surfaces leading to the work area, and sealing off work area for dust control
- Demolition typically takes 1-2 days
- Framing, straightening old walls, structural or sub-floor work takes 1 day
- 1 day each is allowed for electrical and plumbing work to be performed.(includes tub/shower base install)
- At the end of the first week or beginning of the second week, a town inspector will look at and sign off on all framing, wiring, plumbing, and insulation that will be enclosed.
- 1 day is allowed for insulation/drywall
- During flooring/shower installation, tile-work, and trim work (usually 2-4 days), the second and third coats of compound are applied and sanded.
- 1 day is allowed for painting walls,ceiling, and trim
- 1-2 days are allowed for vanity and top installation, final electrical, plumbing, and decorative hardware trim-outs
Custom Kitchens are more complex, but as a general rule, a full gut (down to studs) kitchen renovation will take 6 weeks on average, including custom cabinetry and custom stone or quartz counters. Additional time may be required for hardwood floors requiring 4 coats of polyurethane finishing, major structural modifications, etc.
What is “Lead Safe,” and how does it affect me?
- If your home was built prior to 1978, this applies to you.
- In 1978, the EPA banned the use of products containing lead in residential housing.
- In 2010, the EPA mandated that any contractor renovating pre-1978 homes be registered with the EPA and become a “Certified Lead Safe” contractor.
- Lead is a known toxic substance and is poisonous. Lead can become airborne during renovation, and as such, can pose a safety hazard to residents exposed to it. Lead is especially hazardous to children under 6 years of age.
- We take great care to protect your family from any hazards associated with “Lead Safe” removal, by erecting dust containment areas, utilizing HEPA air scrubbers and negative pressure fans to safely remove debris from your home. We provide any applicable homeowner with a free guide to Renovate Right.
However, Davis Carpentry is not a lead or asbestos remediator.
Can you provide referrals? Yes, upon request. The following are recommendations we’ve received from former customers:
Our project was a full revamp of our kitchen, which is our primary gathering place in our 1916 Georgian revival home. Of course, the renovation unearthed dangerous wiring, leaking pipes, a concrete slab that once supported a stove that had to be jack hammered out, insufficient floor support, etc. Cost climbed, but not inappropriately. Peter was always completely clear on options, costs, and considerations and was calmly flexible as we wove through to the finale. Though I was not pleased with his flooring subcontractor, Peter financially assisted with the refinish of the floors when after a year they were clearly not holding up. I could not be more delighted with the outcome!
We hired Peter to remodel our bathroom. He came highly recommended and was worth every penny. Peter and his crew were professional, courteous, well-organized, and a joy to work with throughout the entire process. His recommendations were spot on and we love the new bathroom. The quality of his work is excellent. He easily met our project deadline (finished ahead of schedule) and stayed well within our budget. Throughout the process of gutting and rebuilding our bathroom – he left our house cleaner than when he started. We look forward to using his company again for our next project.
Sandy & Gary Boudreau
I hired Peter to renovate my kitchen this past January. He was professional all of the time, on time every day, and completed the project on schedule. The quality of the work they performed was exceptional. I will absolutely hire Peter again for my next renovation.
I hired Peter Davis to do renovate our downstairs bathroom and I was impressed with his extensive knowledge and professionalism. He constantly rethinks the job, suggests, or makes changes that improve the final result of the job. His meticulous attention to detail makes the difference between a good job and a perfect job.
I hired Mr. Davis to do a bathroom renovation at my Hartford, CT home. I was impressed and gratified to have been able to identify a professional who surpassed my expectations. Mr. Davis listened, made appropriate recommendations, and consulted with me throughout this project. I reside in Kissimmee, Florida. The job was completed in a timely manner, professionally, done to the satisfaction of everyone involved. Many thanks!
Davis Carpentry has done a significant amount of work at our house, a historic 1890 house that has had its share of issues. Peter and crew have done everything from our bathroom to our kitchen to a rebuilt 3-season porch to daughter’s room, to our living room — many of the pictures from his portfolio are from our house. You will not find better quality of workmanship and attention to detail, and they are clean and a pleasure to have in the house, even with the most disruptive of projects. Peter works with us to help plan the project, always bringing great ideas to the table. Also, when we find unexpected challenges (at our house, it’s the norm….missing load-bearing beams, massive pipes through all studs in a room, porch detaching from house), Peter is able to easily think through alternative solutions for the best outcome. We joke that the only places in our house that are stable are the ones that Davis Carpentry has redone. Highly recommend!
Having hired Peter Davis to remodel my kitchen and bathroom was the best decision I could have made. I had no experience with a contractor or ever done a remodel and Peter walked me through it completely. He set up connections for me to purchase cabinets, flooring, and everything that was needed to complete the job. Peter was such a huge help to me giving advice in every step of both remodels. His work was superior and his connections, like the plumber and electrician, were also excellent. Both projects were such a pleasure to do with Peter. He made it so easy for me. He made sure all of his tools and mess were picked up every day. I felt he went above and beyond, way beyond what he had to do. I have now moved to another state–unfortunately out of reach for Pete–and I really missed Peter’s help and quality of work. He treats your house like it’s his, and he does his very best to make it what you dream of. I can’t recommend Davis Carpentry enough to anyone who wants to do a remodel. He has so much experience with local suppliers that he will recommend the best and his support team, co workers, electricians, plumbers, and painters are all great dependable and excellent workers. I would have hired him in a minute if he would have been able to come and do my remodel here.. He completes the jobs ahead of time and right on budget, and most importantly, the quality of his work is superior. He really tried to make our dream remodel come true.
Completely satisfied with all aspects of job. Considerate of customer’s inconvenience during project, stuck to schedule. Clean-up done daily after work finished. Willingness to please. Realistic suggestions made for asthetic improvements. Remodeling of 2nd floor bathroom.
We’ve contracted with Davis Carpentry for several projects: custom redesign and reconstruction from scratch of our cellar doors and frame; complete remodeling of two bathrooms; reconstruction of a bedroom floor; demolition of our old garage and reconstruction from a new foundation up. The finished work in each case was outstanding. Not only is Peter Davis’s knowledge of his craft incredible, he is able to explain what he proposes to do and how he will do it in great detail yet in the clearest possible way. He offers alternatives, so that we can decide easily what we want. He is an expert on materials; has great carpentry, engineering, and architectural skills; owns the latest tools and equipment; and is imaginative in his solution to problems. He thoroughly cleans work sites after each day and at the job’s completion. He is conscientious in following proposed schedules, and is willing to help with problems that arise outside of the contracted job. His prices are fair–especially for the premium work that he does. He is personable and a man of integrity. He works well with his excellent assistant and other contractors, is skilled in dealing with people in permit departments and their various regulations. When he guarantees his work, you can trust him. And you can count on him in an emergency (we know from experience). He is loyal to his customers. We recommend him much, much more than highly.
Patricia Hill & John Klause
Have a question?